Starkville in Motion is a grassroots organization dedicated to promoting the development and maintenance of bike lanes, sidewalks, and trails in Starkville and Oktibbeha County and improving pedestrian and bicyclist safety.
Starkville in Motion is composed of concerned citizens, business owners, parents, government leaders, and organizations that wish to see Starkville reach its full potential as a great community.
- Starkville in Motion (SIM) is a grassroots organization with over 250 members.
- SIM grew out of a transportation study conducted by the Carl Small Town Center in the College of Art, Architecture, and Design called Bike Starkville and Walk, Too! This study demonstrated that a large portion of our city does not own or travel by car and needs sidewalks and bike lanes for safe, reliable transportation.
- SIM works in collaboration with other civic groups, the City of Starkville, Oktibbeha County, and Mississippi State University.
- SIM is a 501(c)3 organization. Donations to SIM are tax deductable.
- SIM has a Facebook Group with over 150 members, growing daily.
SIM’s goals are:
- To connect all the parts of the city and campus together with an interconnected network of sidewalks and bike lanes/roads safe for biking
- To promote recreation, community building, commerce, commuting, physical fitness and eco-friendly options for transportation by promoting infrastructure and education/awareness.
- To have educational and community events that support walking and biking and educate others about biking/walking needs, safety, benefits, etc.
- To create a culture that accepts and values biking and walking.
Our Five Year Plan includes these top priorities:
- Complete our two federally funded grants—Lynn Lane Multipurpose Path and Safe Routes to School
- Promote smart design and construction through appropriate ordinances and zoning that require sidewalks and bike lanes (Complete Streets)
- Collaborate in the design of the Cotton Mill Market Place and its connectors to campus, Main Street, and Spring Street
- Sidewalks along HWY 12 from Campus to Louisville St.
- Sidewalks connecting 21 Apartments to campus
- Help Starkville become a certified bike-friendly community
- Sidewalks and bike lanes HWY 182—Old West Point Rd. to Long St.